Homework is an important part of school life; it makes learning effective and easier. Since our school years, we have been involved in doing tasks. But , a few people think about who invented homework and why he did so? Nobody thinks about the main purpose of homework.
Here we will discuss all the answers: who invented homework and why ? We will discuss the practical value of homework and the teacher’s motivation behind it.
In 1905, an Italian teacher named Roberto Nevilis invented homework. We can notice that after the invention of homework, there is an obvious improvement in the education system .
The learning process believes that home learning is an essential part of educational activities.
According to Roberto Nevilis, homework is to develop a student’s independence. Along with independence, it also increases confidence, initiative, and creative imagination.
The following factors determine the real need for homework:
- As we discussed below, homework learning is important for the development of a student’s abilities and creative talents.
- The only way to properly and fully process the content is to spread it out and memorize it. And homework is the best way to do this.
- Repeated comprehension and assimilation are very important in the mastery of scientific concepts
- During in-school learning , a concentrated assimilation of studied material is needed.
Afterwards, the gained knowledge is forgotten. To prevent the forgetting of acquired knowledge, homework is needed.
The success of teaching completely depends on the success of preparing homework. Since the time homework was invented, this aspect has been considered . In the educational process and teaching , organization of homework is the most important thing. The closest attention from the tutor is required to the many aspects of this problem.
When creating a task, the instructor should be aware of the process of transformation. He/she should know that the process of educational material involves necessary stages:
- The formulation of the formation of skills
- Applying new information and skills in practice
The person who invented homework invented it because of the needs discussed above for a student.
The Main Purposes of Homework
- The formation of the student’s research skills
- Formation of the ability to extract necessary information from various manuals and dictionaries
- Mastering of the skills of educational work, expressed in various way of teaching
Types of homework
Since the time when homework was invented, there have not been many types of homework . But nowadays, teachers assign the following types of homework:
- Performance of oral exercise
- Performance of a written exercise
- Performance of creative works like essays, etc.
- Conducting experiments and observation
- Preparation of reports on the studied material
Reasons for inventing homework
- The formation of the student’s research skills.
- Formation of the ability to extract necessary information from various manuals and dictionaries.
- Students, instructors, parents, and institutions all anticipate homework. This is the main motto of the person who invented homework.
- In addition to strengthening concepts taught in the classroom and assisting students in remembering them, homework also improves students’ overall language comprehension.
- Study habits and autonomous learning are developed through homework. Additionally, it encourages students to purchase class notes like grammar guides and dictionaries. Homework improves true information, self-control, learning attitudes, and problem-solving skills, according to study.
- There may not be enough time in the classroom for in-depth receptive skills activities, but homework provides those possibilities. Additionally, it could be a crucial component of continuous education activities like project work and the usage of graded readers.
- In-between-lesson continuity is provided via homework. It can be used to review material covered in class as well as to get ready for the following lesson.
- The purpose of homework may be to remove time-consuming, mechanical, repetitive chores from the classroom.
- The distance between home and school is filled with homework. Teachers, parents, and students may keep tabs on the students’ progress. Parents may participate in the educational process through the educational facility.
- As part of ongoing or portfolio assessments, homework can be a helpful evaluation technique.
Who invented homework? The objectives
Now let us briefly discuss the objectives for which homework was invented. Some of the objectives are:
Consideration of time:
Each class and lesson has a time limit, whether desired or not. The teacher has to finish his or her syllabus within that time frame. But, at times, some students and some topics required more time than that. Partial learning occurs when extra time cannot be dedicated.
Practice and Application
Homework enables practice and application, in addition to facilitating inter-class linkage from one day to the next. Although practicing has been shown to help students achieve higher grades, few students actually use it.
Firstly, in the absence of obligation, students seldom practice. Second, it gives pupils the chance to put what they’ve learned into practice. A crucial factor in countering this trend is homework.
Reinforcement of Learning
It was a common conception that students seldom paid attention to classwork once they left the premises , an out of mind, out of sight phenomenon was taking place. In that case, students came to the class the next day with a clean mind and almost no connection to the previous class. Therefore, the most important objective of homework is to reinforce learning. If students practice what they discussed in the class, it will prepare them for the next class.
To conclude, in this post we have discussed who invented homework and the needs and reasons for inventing homework. In 1905, Roberto Nevilis invented homework,seen as and it is clearly seen an improvement in the education system after the invention of homework.
We hope you have enjoyed this post about who invented homework, and we are able to clear all your queries. For more posts like this, keep visiting our website on a regular basis.
Who invented school?
Horace Mann is credited with creating both the school and the present educational system in the US. Horace was born in Massachusetts in 1796 and later rose to the position of Secretary of Education in that state, where he advocated for a structured curriculum with a set of fundamental subjects for every student.